A self-indulgent blog post! But one that should be interesting!
We didn't have a large budget to start Ginger&Browns, and so in order to give the shop the look we wanted, we had to build it ourselves, and we wanted to do it by re-using as much as possible. We also knew we wanted to be open on the Easter weekend which, by the time all the legal work was finished, gave us 14 days from when we were given the keys. So, with a lot of blood, sweat and tears - and we're not kidding about the blood - we built a shop!
We got straight to work on the exterior as, although it was March, it was sunny!
We removed the sign, to find another sign underneath.. And another.. And another.. But eventually we had it all removed, and the peeling paintwork stripped back and sanded!
We started to re-paint the shop in our brand of navy blue:
After putting our logo on the front, we re-painted the black areas on a ladder that was a little bit too wobbly to be re-painting the apex! But all the hard work was paying off, and we finally looked like a shop on the outside!
And now that we're open...
The inside of the shop was just as hard, but at least the amount of daylight didn't limit us inside, so night after night we worked, with some very tasty takeaways being necessary to keep us going!
We knew we didn't need the shop filling the whole of the space, besides - we have exciting new plans for the other half of the room, so we put up a partition wall.
We then set about getting some shelving and cladding on these walls! We used pallet wood, but it was scorched instead of stained to give it the finish we wanted. Thankfully, on this bit we had a helping hand from someone with a nail gun! We also knew we wanted dogs to be welcome in store, so maybe carpet wasn't the best idea..
The shelves were then put up, and we set about staining the wood trim, and painting all the walls ready for laying the floor! We originally planned to paint the concrete, but it had degraded with time and wasn't suitable anymore, so a hurried purchase and an efficient delivery of the flooring was very much appreciated! And with no experience in laying floors, we jumped in at the deep end!
So we now had the start of our shop! The next stage was to make each of our units. We started with the display tables, which we made from old wood planks that builders use for the walk way in scaffolding towers, as we knew they'd be strong!
We clad an old freezer with feather-board, and out of old vegetable crates we made more wall shelving, and some product islands:
Mally thought he could be a product..
We made our counter from some old pallets that were left outside the brewery next door:
We gave an old bench a new lease of life, put pendant lighting in, blackboards on the walls, dog-tail hooks for our harnesses, and cut an old wood ladder in two - one leant against the wall for the collars, and one hanging from the roof for bird feeders!
And finally, Ginger&Browns was only missing its stock, and with only a day left before our launch, we started displaying the products!
It was an intense and stressful two weeks, but we all thoroughly enjoyed it, and were grateful for the help we got from friends and family! We know this is a long post, but at least it's mainly pictures! A 60 minute make-over, this was not!